This is my main breakfast, which I eat most mornings.
From: Thomas, Biju & Lim, Allen (2011) The Feedzone Cookbook – Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes Velo Press
- 4 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 1 ripe banana
- silvered almonds
- hopped cashews
- pine nuts
- golden raisins
- dried goji berries
- Heat oven to 150°C.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar and coconut.
- In a blender, combine maple syrup, apple juice and banana and process until smooth.
- Add the contents of the blender to the bowl and stir. You may have to add another splash of apple juice if the mix appears too dry.
- Spread mixture evenly into a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Add any combination of the optional ingredients, if desired. Stir the muesli and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until muesli is a desired shade of brown. Allow muesli to cool completely.
Store in an air tight container once cooled.
For more great recipes like this get the Feedzone Cookbook.
Chef Biju and Dr. Lim vetted countless meals with the world’s best endurance athletes in the most demanding test kitchens. In The Feed Zone Cookbook: Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes, Thomas and Lim share their energy-packed, wholesome recipes to make meals easy to prepare, delicious to eat, and better for performance.
The Feed Zone Cookbook provides 150 delicious recipes that even the busiest athletes can prepare in less time than it takes to warm up for a workout. With simple recipes requiring just a handful of ingredients, Biju and Allen show how easy it is for athletes to prepare their own food, whether at home or on the go.
The Feed Zone Cookbook strikes the perfect balance between science and practice so that athletes will change the way they think about food, replacing highly processed food substitutes with real, nourishing foods that will satisfy every athlete’s cravings.
The Feed Zone Cookbook includes
- 150 delicious recipes illustrated with full-color photographs
- Breakfasts, lunches, recovery meals, dinners, snacks, desserts
- Dr. Allen Lim’s take on the science and practice of food
- Portable real food snacks, including Lim’s famous rice cakes
- Dozens of quick-prep meals for before and after workouts
- Shortcuts, substitutions, and techniques to save time in the kitchen
- Over 100 gluten-free and vegetarian alternatives to favorite dishes